The most scrumptious vegetarian dish is this wholesome Aubergine Parmigiana Dish served up in my Ondine Cuisine Platine Oval Roasting Pan.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, plus extra for brushing
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 4 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tsp coconut sugar
- 6 large aubergines, sliced lengthways as thinly as you can
- 100g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 x 125g balls mozzarella, torn into small chunks
- Basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the garlic and thyme. Cook gently for a few minutes. Tip in the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar, and gently simmer for 20-25 mins until thickened a little.
- Meanwhile, heat another pan. Brush the aubergine slices on both sides with oil, my favourite to use is avocado oil. Then fry in batches. You want each slice softened and slightly charred, so don’t have the heat too high or the aubergine will char before softening. Remove to a plate as you go.
- In a large baking dish, I used my Ondine Cuisine Oval Roasting Pan, spread a little of the tomato sauce over the base. Top the sauce with a layer or two of aubergine slices, then season well. Spoon over a bit more sauce, then scatter over some mozzarella, parmesan and basil leaves. Repeat, layering up – and finish with the last of the tomato sauce. Scatter over the mozzarella and parmesan and it’s ready to bake.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Bake for 30-40 mins until the top is crisp and golden, and the tomato sauce bubbling. Rest for 10 mins and serve with veggies.